Friday 24 April 2009

April/May 2009 update

All my fiction seems to be disappearing down a big black hole! The stories that have been bought still haven't appeared in the magazines, and the ones I am waiting responses on are taking forever to reply. Still, at least the non-fiction is doing well. Two more in Nursery World, as well as my regular monthly page in Child Care. As for the novel, I am now into waiting mode - submissions sent off to agents and the long wait for replies. Went to a How to Get Published masterclass at Earls Court which was interesting, but depressing - getting on 400 wannabe authors all hoping to find the magic answers that will get them to the top! Not that I will let the competition put me off. The Writers Forum monthly column is going well, and I have had lots of reader responses from all round the world! I hadn't realised I had followers in Australia, but I have! If only I can get the book published there is scope for international sales!! I have an idea bubbling away for the next novel, but it's complicated and I have to work out the intricacies of the plot in my head (which is a long slow cogitative process) before I decide if it works and I am going to give up another year to write it. I'm waiting for the moment when I just feel I have to do it and nothing can stop me - that's when I will start. So, it's all just waiting... waiting... waiting at the moment, like waiting for a bus. I expect three will come along at once any minute now! Happy writing.

4 comments:

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

400 wannabes? Yikes. Think I'm best off forgetting about that - too much competition.

Well done on another busy month.

:-)

M. L. KIner said...

"The Hong Kong Connection" is a legal thriller about a gutsy female attorney who takes on high ranking International officials. It's a taut, rollercoaster of a ride from New York to Palm Beach to Washington D.C. to Hong Kong. The plot is expertly woven, the characters persuasive, and the dialogue snappy and spot on.
www.StrategicBookPublishing.com/TheHongKongConnection.html

Kazzmoss said...

Hi Liz,

I've only just started reading your blog and it's very interesting.

I had my photograph in the Nursery World recently. My Mum and Dad were in it and the only photo I had was one of us all. I've not seen it yet though. They won an award for fostering.

Love your column, I'm finding it quite inspiring to get going with my own writing.

Viv said...

Thanks Suzanne and Kazzmoss. Which issue of Nursery World was it in so I can take a peek? And Suzanne - don't let the competition put you off. They might all be writing rubbish!